Patent Agent Training Course - Module 1: Drafting & Prosecution
Course instructors include past members of the Patent Agent Examination Board.
This Patent Agent Training Course is an advanced, practical program primarily intended to enhance the patent agent trainee’s skills relevant to drafting and prosecution and to increase their chances of success in the Patent Agent Qualifying Examination.
Who will beneﬁt from the course?
- Patent Agent Trainees at law ﬁrms, patent agency ﬁrms, corporations and technology transfer ofﬁces seeking to gain practical experience.
- Intellectual Property Managers who want to acquire a comprehensive understanding of the patent process.
To obtain the optimum beneﬁts from the course it is recommended that students:
- have at least one year of training with a qualiﬁed patent agent or patent lawyer
- have participated in the preparation of patent applications and responses to ofﬁce actions
INITIAL ON-SITE SESSION
An initial 3-day classroom session will be held to introduce the core principles surrounding patent practice in Canada and to discuss the Patent Agent Exam. Topics covered during the session will include:
- First Meeting with the Inventor/Client
- Parts of the Speciﬁcation and their Purpose
- Claim Drafting — Principles & Approaches
- Claim Drafting — Examples & Errors
- Drafting the Disclosure
- Amendment and Prosecution
- Analysis of Ofﬁce Actions
- Parts and Format of the Response
- Procedural Objections
- Anticipation and Obviousness Objections
- Writing the Patent Agent Exam
The initial session will be followed by 10 practical exercises, consisting of one exercise per week over 10 weeks. The homework will involve approximately 5 hours per week. The exercises will be submitted via e-mail to the instructors who will in turn provide comprehensive feedback on each answer received.
This course is offered every fall. To find out when the next course will be offered, please write to email@example.com.