Published on January 28, 2014
On January 27th, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs tabled five IP treaties in the House of Commons:
- the Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (“Madrid”),
- the Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks (“Singapore”),
- the Nice Agreement Concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks (“Nice”),
- the Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Industrial Designs (“Hague”), and
- the Patent Law Treaty (“PLT”).
This is the first procedural step towards ratification and implementation. General information on the treaty process can be found at http://www.treaty-accord.gc.ca/procedures.aspx?lang=eng.
Although we do not know the timing for implementation, our committees will monitor the work by government and will think about education for members. We will continue to keep you informed of developments.